How to dispose of large or bulky household items such as furniture and fridges.
We provide a separate
Christmas tree collection service in January.
Sell it or give it away
If the item is in working order you could donate it to charity, give it away or sell it and make yourself some cash.
Donate it to a charity:
Sell it or give it away:
Reuse and recycling centre
You can take bulky household items, including fridges and freezers, to the
Recycling Centre (tip) at Garth Road. Most of this waste is recycled.
Ask your retailer
If you buy a new item which is delivered to your house, some retailers will take away your old item.
We can collect some bulky items for free, but charges apply in
You will need to put your items outside your home by 6am on your booked collection day.
You may have to wait up to five weeks between booking a collection and the collection taking place.
We can collect:
- large electrical appliances (e.g. kitchen appliance, oven, fridge, freezer, dishwasher)
- televisions and computer monitors
- bag of small electrical items (e.g. kettle, toaster, electric toothbrush)
- furniture (e.g. bed, sofa, armchair, wardrobe)
- roll of carpet
- bagged household waste
Loose materials must be bagged or tied and light enough for one person to lift safely.
We can’t collect:
- hazardous waste
- construction and demolition waste
- Each household can book a free collection of up to five items once every three months.
- No more than one of your five free items can be a fridge, freezer or fridge-freezer.
- You can add up to five more items to the collection for a fee of £15 per fridge or freezer, and £10 per item for all other items.
- You can book no more than four fridges, freezers or fridge-freezers in the same collection: one free and three paid-for.
- All items must be collected at the same time.
- If payment is required you must pay at the time of booking.
- If you book another collection within three months the minimum fee is £50.
- The service is non-refundable.
Book a collection
- You must be up to date with council tax payments in order to use this service.
- Appointments can be made for collections on Monday to Friday excluding public holidays. It is not possible to be specific about the time of collection.
Book a bulky waste collection
Change your collection
If you would like to change the items booked for collection you must telephone us on 020 8274 4902 at least 2 working days before your collection day.
Report a missed collection
Report a missed bulky waste collection
Soil, construction and demolition waste
Fixtures and fittings, soil, rubble and other materials arising from DIY construction and demolition works are not eligible for collection under the bulky waste collection service as they are not classified as household waste.