Children adopted from care can have ongoing needs, and you and your child may benefit from support. The support you are entitled to is outlined here by First4Adoption in
The Adoption Passport: a support guide for adopters.
Support services can be accessed by any adoptive families who live in the borough of Merton, or any adoptive families who live outside of this area and adopted a child through Merton in the last three years.
Some of the services are offered by Merton alone, while others are provided in conjunction with our partners in the
South West London Adoption Consortium partners. (This includes the London boroughs Sutton, Kingston, Richmond and Merton).
The services Merton currently offers include:
- Initial consultation, advice and information: This can be either on the telephone or in person, by appointment.
- Adoption Support Assessments: If your family needs further help or services, you are entitled to an assessment of your adoption support needs at any time until your child is 18.
- If the assessment finds that therapeutic services would help your family, we can apply to the national
Adoption Support Fund (ASF) to help pay for these services.
- Adoption support evenings and workshops: These sessions provide a chance to meet other adoptive parents, and there is usually a guest speaker.
- Drop-in mornings and toddler groups: A relaxed and informal support group for adoptive parents, held every 4 weeks in a comfortable and child friendly environment. These are held in Richmond and you can attend these with or without children.
- Network group: This is another informal support group, run by an adoptive parent for adoptive parents.
- Adopted Children’s Groups: These quarterly social events give adopted children, under the age of 10, the chance to meet up, and just have fun together. We hope to provide similar provision for older children in the future.
- Family Days: We also hold an annual summer fun day, with refreshments, entertainment and activities for all the family.
To find out more about any of these services please contact the duty officer on 020 8545 4688.
Find us on Facebook
Take a look at our
Facebook page and become a fan of the Merton Fostering and Adoption Network.
London Borough of Merton
Permanence and Placements Service
Merton Civic Centre
Telephone 020 8545 4688